Thursday, June 30, 2016

The cover of the book released

James Tissot, The Sower (Le semeur), 1886-1894


I'm at Paddington Station, London, getting ready to head to Heathrow for my flight home today. I have spent the last week in the UK during a tumultuous time here. 

First, the Brexit vote (which was followed by a visit to Scotland by Donald Trump). I was in Cambridge during the Brexit vote and was able to hear the insights of Chris and Catherine Rowland about what all that entailed (Chris was my professor at Cambridge many years ago).

Second, the England loss to Iceland in the Euro Cup (which I watched at The Ship Inn in Pentewan, Cornwall; it was filled with a number of disconsolate people). 

So that's why I have not posted on this blog for a while. I did some work at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge (and I also was able to check in with an Emory colleague, Mike McQuaide, while there), and my time in Cornwall was mostly a writing retreat, although my time was spent on a copy-edited version of this book. I have made it through the first three chapters of the copy-edited version and hope to finish the fourth chapter today, while I make my way back home. Some of the work was done in pubs, most notably Tuesday evening while sipping  local Cornish ale--the rest of the pub, which was packed was busy at their weekly Bingo games. The grand prize was 100 pounds.

I was delighted to see a couple days ago that the cover of the book was released. It is posted above. The main image comes from a painting by James Tissot, The Sower (Le semeur), 1886-1894, which is found in the Brooklyn Museum. I'll write more about Tissot's painting and his other parable paintings after I finish the series on the rich man and Lazarus parable.

I'll be home today and will resume regular (or regular irregular) postings upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parables and the Social Sciences: Contributions of Willam Herzog II

  Chapter 7 of the revised and expanded version of What are They Saying about the Parables? talks about how work in the social sciences...