Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Update on the book

(a) Hopefully not me as division chair and (b) not on the cover of the book, The Parables after Jesus

The semester is over, so I am back working full-time on my writing projects. I have agreed to become Humanities division chair, so I have had to jettison (or, hopefully, postpone) some of my planned projects. Right now, though, I have finished a book review of The Many Faces of Christ: Portraying the Holy in the East and West, 300 to 1300 by Michele Bacci for the journal, Museum Anthropology. I have another review to write for the Review of Biblical Literature, but right now I am working on an article, "The Parables in the Visual Arts" for the Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (EBR). I am still waiting to hear back from the publisher about the next book project, but in the meantime I have some editing to do for another volume.

Around the end of May, I will receive the second copy-edited and proofread manuscript for this book, The Parables after Jesus. In the meantime, I am working on obtaining (and getting copyright permissions for) the final three digital images for the book: Two images from the Rossano Gospels and one image from Domenico Fetti (The Parable of the Lost Coin/Drachma).

Even more exciting is that a few weeks ago, Baker Academic sent me a pdf of the book cover: It is stunning. Unfortunately, I cannot share it on this blog until July, so stay tuned. The cover is blue--my third book in a row with a blue cover--and it incorporates a painting of a parable by a major French artist.

As I mentioned earlier, the full title of the book is: The Parables after Jesus: Their Imaginative Receptions across Two Millennia

Oh, and the painting at the top is The Parable of the Blind leading the Blind, by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (1568). It is found in the Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte, Napoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parables and Their Social Contexts: "Peasant" Readings/Hearings (Douglas Oakman)

  More excerpts from chapter 7 of the revised and expanded edition of  What are They Saying about the Parables?   Ancient Economies:  "...