Friday, January 17, 2014

Roger Wagner's The Harvest . . .


I know that many readers of this blog are primarily interested in the visual art on the parables I will be covering in the book, so my posts next week will discuss early Christian images of the Good Shepherd.

In the meantime, I want to share with you an image that a reader of this blog sent me this week. With her permission: HT to "revnancy."

The painting is by Roger Wagner, and as this article shows, he was inspired by the work of Fra Angelico at the San Marco (if you get a chance to go to Florence, do not miss going to see Fra Angelico's frescoes. The are simply amazing, including the one that resembles a Dali in some respects -- see a close-up view here).

revnancy noted that Wagner's take on the "Harvest" was distinctive. Have a look:


There are so many paintings on the parables from which to choose, this one won't make it into the book, but I thought I'd share it with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Parables and Their Social Contexts: "Peasant" Readings/Hearings (Douglas Oakman)

  More excerpts from chapter 7 of the revised and expanded edition of  What are They Saying about the Parables?   Ancient Economies:  "...